Saturday 4 April 2009

Loki the obedience dog!

We couldn't have had better weather today at the West Of England Border Collie Club show. It was sunny but cool.

Grace got 4th out of 4 in veteran in the breed show, and came last in working bitch, so the judge didn't like her - so what, she behaved beautifully, did what I asked, when I asked. I think she enjoyed herself, which is the whole reason for showing her again.... Mission accomplished!!

Loki was his usual sniffy, wanting to say "hi" to everyone self and I thought he was not going to get his brain in gear and concentrate! Wouldnt blame him as I've not done much training at all!!

We worked the novice round first and what a surprise..... he went in the ring and as soon as he was set up, he became a different dog!!!! Apart from his retrieve, he did really well. I didn't bother doing stays with him.

Kim, my friend from flyball came to film his beginner round for me so that I could see what needed to be worked on. The first exercise was heel on lead and after a shakey start, he suddenly switched his brain on and worked like a little superstar! Recall was not bad - crooked present, but then he's never done a straight one yet!! Heel free was beautiful. Yes he drifted, but he was paying attention and worked really well. Retrieve was his downfall in novice, so I wasn't hoping for much.... He sat and waited whilst I threw the dumbell, I sent him and he picked it up and for some reason I said "in" which I don't normally..... he came in and sat in front with the dumbell in his mouth!!!!! I was so so pleased with him.

I went back after showing Grace to see where he'd ended up... only to be told that he was needed for a run off!!!

Run back to the van, chuck Grace in, get him out, do a warm up - badly, runback to the ring, do another warm up. He has no attention - oh well, he is at his first ever obedience show, what can I expect?

We have to do heel free again. I set him up and his on switch kicks in and off we go and he is working. I am so proud of him. And the icing on the cake is that Jenny his breeder is tere to watch him!!

Loki ends up winning his run off and coming in 4th place!!! I am over the moon with him. And I have the film to remind me!!!! I have no idea what he lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment